Thursday 19 September 2013

Short story - harsh love

To say I was dreading the dinner party would be the understatement of the century. As I boarded the plane a few hours previous, a deep sense of dread enveloped me..I even contemplated working a triple shift at the hospital in the hopes of missing my flight. However if I did I would never hear the end of it from my mum.

She has been planning it for weeks (so she says) and it is a 'set-up' dinner party, so-called because my mum can't cope with having a 30 year old single daughter...and no grandchildren!

That is not the worst part....the man my mum has set me up with, well we kinda know each other...and by know each other I mean we had a very long affair in college that ended really badly...a lot of people were hurt.

Ryan was the kind of guy that everyone wanted..you know in those cheesy high school chick flick movies, where the guy is seen walking in slow motion down the corridor?? Well he was the slow motion kinda guy...rugged, manly, sexy...and yet somehow he went for me. At the time I was already seeing someone and so was Ryan...like I said a lot of people were hurt. 

Ugh!! Now I feel sick..we are landing...which means I am even closer to my family home! As I went to get my rental car I couldn't help but remember the last time Ryan and I saw each other...we had a bit of a goodbye moment in his car...right before everything imploded! He managed to come out unscathed and nobody hated him..me on the other hand...I have dreaded running into him ever since.

As I turned onto the road a few blocks from the hotel my cell started ringing...where the heck was it??
I briefly took my eyes off the road for a second to reach it and as I lifted my head all I saw were lights...and then darkness took over.

No comments:

Post a Comment